No More Flat Stanley: Learning in 3D
Location: Room 217BC
[Listen and learn : Lecture]
Monday, June 26, 3:00–4:00 pm
Location: Room 217BC
Curious about getting started with 3D printing? This session will share from a beginner's perspective how 3D printing can impact learning in K-8 classrooms. We'll share lessons, resources, apps and hints from our first year using a 3D printer and offer projects that connect 3D design with creative writing.
|Attendee devices:||Devices not needed|
|Focus:||Digital age teaching & learning|
|Topic:||Constructivist learning/maker movement|
|ISTE Standards:||Students : Creative communicator
Teachers : Facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity
Students : Innovative designer
|Additional detail:||Session recorded for video-on-demand, Session will be simulcast live|
Educators may be aware of 3D printing as an emerging technology, but may not have an understanding of how it could be a valuable learning tool in the classroom environment. This session will share from a beginner’s perspective practical ways on how to implement 3D printer technologies into the curriculum. Examples will be shared on how it can be an effective and highly motivating part of the learning process. Participants in this session will:
1) be introduced to 3D printing basics, including setup procedures and workflow suggestions for using a 3D printer in K - 8 classrooms.
2) learn about projects done in the presenter’s classroom, including lessons that merge 3D printing with digital storytelling/creative writing, digital citizenship, and other Common Core/ISTE standards.
3) receive suggested resources including tutorials, apps, design software, and online generators to help beginners get started with creating 3D designs with their students.
1) Getting started with 3D printing - basics of 3D printing, setting up, hints, workflow. (20 minutes)
2) Lesson examples for K-8 students - how to introduce 3D printing, projects for beginners, advanced design projects, integrating with subject areas/Common Core/ISTE standards, merging 3D printing with creative writing and digital storytelling. (30 minutes)
3) Resources - suggestions for helpful tutorials, apps, design software, and online generators. (I will curate a page with links to all resources mentioned in all three sections.) (10 minutes)
Technology-charged starts herelearning
June 25-28, 2017
© 2017 International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), All Rights Reserved