Teaching AI: Exploring New Frontiers for LearningMichelle Zimmerman, Renton Prep
Session descriptionWhat does AI mean? What exists and what is hype? Educators won't be replaced by machines and are crucial in the future of young people. The author of the new ISTE book "Teaching AI: Exploring New Frontiers for Learning" will answer questions and provide some unexpected twists along the way.
This one-hour exploratory session will walk through the sections of the book, "Teaching AI: Exploring New Frontiers for Learning" with quick tips and access to free resources supported by AI or helping students prepare for a future with AI ranging from Sesame Workshop to PBS Learning Media with the Crash Course Series for young children through college students, Project-based learning and Design Thinking to Diversity in STEM. It will also include free tools you can use in your classroom right away for creative collaborative projects and assessments. These tools will be used during the City Walk and in the workshop following as my team guides you in ways to bring in socio-cultural perspectives and the importance of humanity while preparing for a future with AI. Student and educator perspective from diverse populations will be part of this session representing Global Collaborator 7b Standard.
1. What Is AI?
1. Brief History
2. Components of AI
2. Preparing Students for the Future
1. Introducing AI, teaching how it works and discussing implications and ethical issues will serve students in future careers where AI used.
2. ISTE Standards for Students
1. Students as creators and problem-solvers, how AI fits
3. Approaches to Teaching AI
1. Project-Based Learning
2. Design Thinking
3. AI in the classroom - Examples
4. How AI Can Support Student Learning
1. Foster STEM Skills
2. Diversity and gender equity in STEM careers
3. Personalized Learning
4. Differentiated Instruction
5. Computer science and robotics
6. Student Examples
5. How AI Can Support Teachers
1. Automating Tasks/ Freeing up Teacher Time
2. Data Mining
6. Ethical Issues and Concerns
1. Loss of Control and Privacy
2. Changes in Job Market Due to Automation
|Attendee devices:||Devices useful|
|Attendee device specification:||Smartphone: Android, iOS, Windows
Laptop: Chromebook, Mac, PC
Tablet: Android, iOS, Windows
|Participant accounts, software and other materials:||Mobile devices - install free apps:
Sway - (runs supported by Machine Learning, a component of AI)
Office Lens - (uses computer vision - a component of AI)
Microsoft Translator - (uses Natural Language Processing - a component of AI)
Sign up for a free Microsoft account.
|ISTE Standards:||For Educators: