How to Rebuild a Technology Department From the Ground Up
Listen and learn : Lecture
Sunday, June 23, 9:00–10:00 am
Chris Belcher Steve Burkhart Donna Dixon James Graham Seth Harris Rene Nicholson Josh Shepard Zach Sheppard Anna Shivar
With a new technology staff, our district embarked on an adventure to implement 1:1, improve data and network security and develop policies to prepare our district in support of the 21st century learner. Come and hear how we did it!
|Audience:||Chief technology officers/superintendents/school board members, Professional developers, Technology coordinators/facilitators|
|Attendee devices:||Devices useful|
|Attendee device specification:||Smartphone: Windows, Android, iOS
Laptop: Chromebook, Mac, PC
Tablet: Android, iOS, Windows
|Participant accounts, software and other materials:||None|
|Topic:||Technology planning and evaluation|
|ISTE Standards:||For Administrators:
The purpose of this presentation is to help other school districts be able to quickly identify key components in their infrastructure that can be affordably updated to support the unique challenges within the 21st Century learning environment.
Our department will share how we:
- Virtualized our server infrastructure
- Leveraged E-Rate funding for fiber, switches, and other core infrastructure upgrades
- Purchased and implemented 1:1 devices while completing the infrastructure upgrades
- Created and implemented data security procedures and policies that align with industry standards
- Created #ElevateOconee to provide PD to district employees
- Provided district guidance on securely rostering and distributing student information
- Worked as a team on many smaller projects that enhanced the learning environments across our district
Participants will leave with multiple resources to bring back to their district to help improve and/or rebuild their technology department to support the 21st Century learning environment.
Our department will serve as an informational panel rotating through the following topics (Time spent on each topic will vary depending on depth and attendee interest).
- History of our department (5 Min)
- Building your staff (5 min)
- Vision/Goals – Creating a shared vision with the Instructional Department (10 Min)
- Where to begin and what went wrong? (10 Min)
- Core Infrastructure (10 Min)
- Classroom Technology (5Min)
- 1:1 Instructional Technology (10 Min)
- Blending it all together (5 Min)
We believe in using peer-to-peer interaction and discussion to facilitate a realistic approach to the implementation of this information. Real life applications and examples will be shown, shared, and discussed among presenters and attendees.
NIST Standards for Technology (Aligned to state and district policies). https://www.nist.gov/topics/information-technology
CANCELLED: Choose Your Own Flipventure! Interactive Digital Storytelling With Flipgrid & More!
Rethinking the “Classroom” for a Truly Equitable Approach to Technology Education
Supporting the Mental Health Needs of Secondary/Postsecondary Students with Assistive Technology