Be a Mindful Techducator!
Participate and share : Interactive lecture
Tuesday, June 25, 3:15–4:15 pm
In this session we will take a deep breath. Applying current research on rewired brains, I will share techniques to promote balance, empathy and equity into the classroom (and in daily life). Learn how to integrate technology mindfully and take away useful applications to improve happiness and well-being.
|Audience:||Curriculum/district specialists, Teachers, Principals/head teachers|
|Attendee devices:||Devices useful|
|Attendee device specification:||Smartphone: Windows, Android, iOS
Laptop: Chromebook, Mac, PC
Tablet: Android, iOS, Windows
|Participant accounts, software and other materials:||Participants do not need to load these before the session, but it may be helpful to load:
Insight Timer: https://insighttimer.com/
Calm App: https://www.calm.com/
Stop, Breathe, Think: https://www.stopbreathethink.com/
Go Noodle: https://www.gonoodle.com/
Also, participants may be more comfortable wearing clothing to stretch or sit on the floor in.
|Focus:||Digital age teaching & learning|
|Topic:||Instructional design and delivery|
|ISTE Standards:||For Educators:
|Related exhibitors:||FlexTime Manager , SXSW EDU , NASA - STEM on Station , Common Sense Education , CodeMonkey Studios , Stop, Breathe & Think|
1. To provide a space for reflecting on current technologies impacting student learning and teaching, specifically that which has been shown to rewire the brain.
2. To learn strategies to promote healthy beingness (empathy, balance and mindfulness) impacting brain health for students and teachers.
3. To learn how to mindfully integrate technology in an inclusive manner.
1. Attendees will meditate for at least 1 minute during the presentation.
2. Attendees will learn and take away to use 2 or 3 tech apps to promote mindfulness and balance.
3. Attendees will learn how and when it is best to turn off technology for brain health according to current research.
4. Attendees will learn how to include apps in an inclusive manner, being mindful "techducators".
1. The session will take place in a flexible room where we will complete short meditation using using Insight Timer App (5 minutes). Participants may want to stretch out on the floor or stay seated on a chair.
2. Next we will reflect as a group and discuss current brain research showing how mindfulness and empathy promotes happier, balanced human beings. (5 minutes - 10 minutes).
3. I will share two or three free apps: a) Calm b) Go Noodle and or c) Stop, Breath and Think (15 minutes) and how they can be used in the classroom. At this stage of the presentation I will share inclusive technology practices to ensure apps are accessible to all students.
4. Next I will share techniques on how to balance technology use in the classroom or home: how to put the cell phone away, discussing with parents and apps to learn to stay off of the computer (15 minutes).
5. Lastly, we will reflect and discuss how ideas from session may be used in respective classrooms as a group and close with a short mediation (10 minutes). Participants will leave as mindful "techducators".
See Mindful Schools Website: https://www.mindfulschools.org/about-mindfulness/mindfulness-in-education/
Dr. Maryann Wolf, author of "Reader Come Home: The Reading Brain a Digital World".