Take Your Textbooks to Tomorrowland With HyperDocs!
Explore and create : Creation lab
Monday, November 30, 11:30 am–12:20 pm PST (Pacific Standard Time)
Lisa Highfill Jennifer Wolfe
With today’s students, textbooks need to travel to Tomorrowland! Building relevancy and engagement with real-world examples using ed tech tools is key to connecting with our students, and textbooks just aren’t enough. Learn how to blend textbook content and pedagogy with tech tools to create tomorrow’s HyperDocs!
|Audience:||Coaches, Curriculum/district specialists, Teachers|
|Attendee devices:||Devices required|
|Attendee device specification:||Laptop: Chromebook, Mac, PC
Tablet: Android, iOS, Windows
|Participant accounts, software and other materials:||Attendees should have access to Google Drive, Flipgrid, WeVideo.|
|Topic:||Instructional design & delivery|
|Subject area:||Language arts, Not applicable|
|ISTE Standards:||For Educators:
|Additional detail:||Session recorded for video-on-demand|
|Disclosure:||The submitter of this session has been supported by a company whose product is being included in the session|
In today's classrooms full of diverse students with academic, cultural, and social/emotional needs, educators must learn to work smarter, not harder to differentiate, reach and engage all students. As a middle school teacher running English and AVID programs, I know what it feels like to be drowning in curriculum that teaches only to the 'middle' - and leaves everyone else out. Add to this a lack of time to create engaging lessons that go beyond the textbook and bring students as active participants in their learning and I was ready to quit.
The ability to harness pedagogy, creativity, collaboration, critical thinking, and communication tools to not only give students more reasons to engage and believe in their learning, but also to facilitate sharing and learning amongst teachers through creating, teaching, and coaching about hyperdocs has transformed my world - and my students.
This presentation will take teachers from overwhelmed to overjoyed, from apathetic to audacious! By employing the pedagogy behind creating strong hyperdoc lessons and adding in collaborative time to create, converse and think, attendees will walk away with multitudes of resources to keep creating, as well as a community of educators inspired to share and work smarter - to be better together.
At the end of this session, participants will:
-learn how to create hyperdocs, including the pedagogical background behind their creation
- collaborate with others to create a hyperdoc
- utilize Google Apps, Flipgrid, Padlet, and other edtech tools
- have time for small and whole group discussion
- create a community of learners to continue to create and innovate
Participants will explore the pedagogy behind a HyperDoc and tools for creating each step.
Participants will create their own dynamic HyperDocs based on traditional textbook lessons, learning how to blend technology and text to engage students, encourage critical thinking, elevate creativity and communicate learning.
* Introductions- and log in to Pear Deck 3 min.
* Background of a HyperDoc - 5 min. (Video)
* Discover the pedagogical structure of a HyperDoc (Explore - Explain - Apply -Share -Reflect) and technology tools for each stage - 15 min, (audience will explore already made HyperDocs)
* Share examples of HyperDocs created from AVID/ELA curriculum and textbooks while modeling the thinking/creating process of building a HyperDoc from static textbook to dynamic learning package - 15 (demo)
* Creating time - participants will create their own HyperDocs (individual or peer to peer collaboration) - 30 min.
* Participants will share their HyperDocs on a Wakelet and explore other sharing platforms for HyperDocs - 10 min.
* Participants will reflect on their experience using Flipgrid, WeVideo or Wakelet - 10 min.
HyperDoc Handbook- https://www.amazon.com/HyperDoc-Handbook-Digital-Lesson-Design/dp/1945167009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538099721&sr=8-1&keywords=hyperdoc+handbook
A New Approach To Teaching With Hyperdocs- https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/teaching-writing-with-hyperdocs_us_595d4238e4b08f5c97d066a1
How HyperDocs Can Transform Your Teaching- https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/hyperdocs/
Leveraging Technology to Explore and Understand Indigenous Histories
The Modern Tech Team: Every Member as Tech Support, Coach, IT, Infrastructure
Using Design Thinking to Create Adaptive Learning Experiences for Gen Z Learners