AI and Beyond: Perspectives from Educators and Students
Listen and learn : Panel
Friday, December 4, 12:30–1:15 pm PST (Pacific Standard Time)
Cliff Archey Charlotte Dungan Liz Lee Janell Tarma Theresa Zakavec
ISTE and IBM have teamed up to develop and pilot a free AI education online course for students in grades 9-12 that will provide them with the knowledge, skills and values needed to understand AI and its implications for society and the world. Join this session to learn more about the importance of AI education, how this course was developed, participate in an AI-focused design thinking activity, and discover how teachers and students can access this course fore free.
|Audience:||Coaches, Curriculum/district specialists, Teachers|
|Attendee devices:||Devices useful|
|Attendee device specification:||Smartphone: Windows, Android, iOS
Laptop: Chromebook, Mac, PC
Tablet: Android, iOS, Windows
|ISTE Standards:||For Students:
|Disclosure:||The submitter of this session has been supported by a company whose product is being included in the session|
This panel will report out on ISTE-IBM AI Foundations Program for 9-12 Students. Education leaders from ISTE and IBM, as well as students and educators who have piloted the course, will share out:
1. The importance of AI education, especially to promote equity among students who are typically underrepresented in STEM.
2. A course demo and an engaging, interactive activity on an AI-focused design thinking exercise.
3. Opportunities for incorporating content-rich and engaging AI experiences into 9-12 classroom environments.
4. Students and teachers will discuss their experience in the course and how they leveraged what they learned to solve a real-world challenge.
1. Background on ISTE/IBM partnership – the why, what, how, when
2. AI Foundations course demo
3. Interactive: Walk through a Design Thinking exercise
4. AI Foundations in action -- teachers and students who have taken the course share out impact
AI4K12 5 Big Ideas: https://bit.ly/ai4k12-five-big-ideas