School of Rock! Songwriting Across the Curriculum
Discover how to integrate the arts into the Common Core by composing music with students in GarageBand. Write an original standards-based song for your students in this session.
Create an original musical composition with me… live, in real time… utilizing GarageBand! Participants will practice recording analog and software instruments, and will integrate music into the common core with writing an original song.
By the end of the session, participants will have an mp3 of our original collaborative song. The session isn’t just about HOW to write a song with a group, it’s about WRITING a song in real time with a group.
1. Introduction to GarageBand on Mac (5 min)
• Recording analog and software instruments
2. Write and record an original song together in GarageBand. (45 min)
1. Select theme for song by selecting a Common Core standard
2. Collaboratively compose lyrics in Google Docs.
3. Choose a key, tempo, and song form
4. Select instrumentation.
5. Browse, preview, and add GarageBand loops into song timeline.
6. Record original tracks as needed (vocal melody, keyboards, bass guitar, etc.). Participants will record tracks.
7. Record vocals.
8. Upload to Google Drive to share!
|Participant accounts, software and other materials:||iOS device required with GarageBand app installed (free Apple app)|
|Standards addressed||6b Creative Communicator: Students create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations. GarageBand enables students to create original music, from theme songs to original compositions!|
Bill Selak is the director of technology at Hillbrook School in Los Gatos, California. He believes that mobile devices compel educators to personalize instruction, and is curious about how teaching and learning shape a classroom. He’s an Apple Distinguished Educator, ISTE Certified Educator, Google Certified Innovator and ISTE Kay L. Bitter Vision Award recipient. Selak is currently obsessed with sharing his professional learning on Instagram Stories.