Pennsylvania Convention Center, Terrace Ballroom Lobby, Table 19
Participants will understand and leave with a creative approach on how the engineering design process can be taught through dance and choreography.
Participants will gain an understanding of the basics of choreography.
Participants will leave with a plan to incorporate dance and choreography into a project based learning experience. This plan will include standard alignment to the National Core Arts Standards, Next Generation Science Standards as well as any local or state standards your school or district follows.
Participants will have gained a different approach for student self expression and confidence building.
Participants will begin to brainstorm ideas on how to deepen student learning and creativity by incorporating other forms of technology. These ideas can be, but are not limited to music mixing, props, wearable technology, and robots.
Introduction: (2 Minutes)
Ice Breaker: (2 Minutes)
- Dance break because you can't have a session on dance without
The Engineering Design Process and Project Based Learning: (10 Minutes)
- Quick overview of the engineering design process and project based
The connection between dance/ choreography and the engineering design process (15 Minutes)
- Compare and contrast the engineering design process and the
choreography of a dance.
- Designing for an audience involves iteration, testing, and
revision. These are also the components to the engineering
- Making it relatable for PE, dance education, arts education, etc.
Just Dance! Performing Arts Project Based Learning: (25 Minutes)
- The essential questions, process, assessments and possible projects
- Extensions to the project (robots, music, props, wearable technology,
Brainstorming Session (5 Minutes)
- What are some things you can or want to do with this project?
Share and Tell (5 Minutes)
Warp up and Questions (5 Minutes)
Why Is Performing Arts Important in School? https://www.theclassroom.com/performing-arts-important-school-5085664.html
The Importance of Performing Arts The British School Warsaw:
5 Benefits of a Performing Arts Education:
Project Based Learning and the Arts:
Project Based Learning Pedagogical Design in STEAM Art Education:
National Core Arts Standards: https://www.nationalartsstandards.org/
Empowering Our Youngest Scholars to Create Using Digital Tools
Universally Designed: Functional, Accessible and Elegantly Visual Lesson-Design