Strategies for Activating Equity and SEL in Lessons
Participate and share : Interactive lecture
Explore how to use the Equity and SEL Integration Framework to consider students' social and emotional learning along with culturally responsive teaching strategies that focus on equity while keeping learning at the forefront. See how to use technology creatively to activate SEL in lessons.
|Audience:||Principals/head teachers, Teachers, Teacher education/higher ed faculty|
|Attendee devices:||Devices useful|
|Attendee device specification:||Smartphone: Android, iOS, Windows
|Topic:||Social emotional learning|
|ISTE Standards:||For Educators:
|Additional detail:||ISTE author presentation|
-Develop an understanding of how equity-based and culturally responsive teaching strategies can activate SEL in lessons through adapting the steps of the 'Equity and SEL Integration Framework'
-Work in community with other educators to identify potential unconscious bias we may have about our students
-Explore open educational resources (OER) to develop an action plan to implement equity/SEL strategies in your classroom
Introduction to the five steps in the 'Equity and SEL Integration Framework' (8 minutes)
1. Understand the CASEL 5 (6 minutes and 2 minutes participant reflections)
2. Assess your own unconscious and implicit bias (8 minutes and 2 minutes participant reflections)
3. Improve your knowledge of your students (8 minutes and 2 minutes participant reflections)
4. Help students develop emotional intelligence skills (10 minutes and 2 minutes participant reflections)
5. Activate SEL in your curriculum (8 minutes and 2 minutes participant reflections)
Closing thoughts and OER for SELand Q/A 10 minutes
The research for this session is outlined in my new 'SEL in Action Tools to Help Students Learn and Grow' ISTE Jumpstart guide.
Please access the guide and research here: http://bit.ly/3quMk0Y
Other Research Sources
1. Goleman, D. (2014). What Makes a Leader: Why Emotional Intelligence Matters.
2. CASEL, (2020). SEL: What are the core competence areas and where are they promoted? Retrieved on https://casel.org/sel-framework/
Pathways to Well-Being: Helping Educators Find Balance in a Connected World
Positive Technological Development in Hybrid Learning Settings: Approaches for Early Childhood
The Quest for Alternative Learning Experiences