How to Inspire Visual Learning Creatively Across K-12 Curriculum
Explore and create : Creation lab
Who says drawing and illustrating is only for art class? Let's unpack ways you can take creative risks alongside your learners, igniting the #candleofcuriosity spark across the curriculum. Discover how your own creativity process is wired through this live sketchnoting #creativityJAM, and maximize your creative potential to empower learning meaningfully!
|Audience:||Teachers, Teacher education/higher ed faculty, Technology coordinators/facilitators|
|Attendee devices:||Devices required|
|Attendee device specification:||Smartphone: Android, iOS, Windows
Laptop: Chromebook, Mac, PC
Tablet: Android, iOS, Windows
|Participant accounts, software and other materials:||Participants can use any drawing/illustration app, but will need access to a Google login, in order to access the presentation deck and share their sketchnotes live.|
|ISTE Standards:||For Educators:
|Disclosure:||The submitter of this session has been supported by a company whose product is being included in the session|
|Influencer Disclosure:||This session includes a presenter that indicated a “material connection” to a brand that includes a personal, family or employment relationship, or a financial relationship. See individual speaker menu for disclosure information.|
The overview of my creation lab is to inspire creative risk taking across K-12 curriculum, supporting educators to build confidence and take risks to facilitate learning in meaningful & creative ways (i.e. live sketchnoting, etc.).
1. Participants will complete and be able to showcase a sketchnote as evidence of learning.
2. Participants will learn how to take creative risks using drawing and illustrating tools (e.g. Adobe Fresco, Google Jamboard, Apple Pro Create, etc. ) to foster & nurture creative cultures with their learners.
3. Participants will build confidence in their ability to take learning risks alongside their learners, which builds relationships and will support fostering creative environments.
4. Participants will gain a variety of strategies and instructional design ideas to implement live sketchnoting across their K-12 curriculum. Strategies will be shared during the live sketchnoting creation lab, as well as as a resource that they can download and takeaway afterwards.
5. Participants will learn ways that they can make learning visual, using text and illustrations to connect learning through experiences.
This is a creation lab, so learners will spend the majority of the session, creating alongside me.
1. (10mins) Google Slide presentation/share to showcase successful use of the strategies that I will showcase in my session (exemplars, the creativity process, sketchnoting, lesson design, etc.).
2. (70mins) Participants can either use their iPad(Pro)/Tablet to sketchnote alongside me, and then share their sketchnotes in the Google Slide template, or they can sketchnote on Jamboard or direclty on my Google Slide deck, while I'm demoing a live sketchnote. Participants will draw, sketch, illustrate, etc., a topic that they're passionate about. They can also choose to work in pairs or small groups of 3-4, if they choose a Google Workspace App. You will find examples of my creation lab already in the URL I shared previously (bit.ly/eduTGIF) which demonstrates how I talk through my creative process and creative choices LIVE as I sketchnote LIVE in-APP (Fresco). I communicate with my audience asking for their participation - they can unmute to share and/or comment in the chats during the ISTE21 Creation Lab session.
1. The State of Creativity: https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2020/09/24/a-new-world-shaping-new-breed-of-creative.html
2. Sylvia Duckwork: https://sylviaduckworth.com/
3. Carrie Baughman: https://carriebaughcum.com/book/
4. Jen Giffen: https://sites.google.com/view/todayisketchnoted/home
5. Creative & Innovative Lessons: https://educircles.org/21st-century-learning-6cs/creative-lesson-plans/
6. 6C's of the 21st Century Learner: https://twitter.com/sylviaduckworth/status/567194778627223553/photo/1
Georgina Dean is the director of learning technology for International School Community. A visionary leader, Dean’s goal is to offer creative digital integration leadership to education communities around the world. A creative and inspiring education leader, mentor, coach, writer, podcaster and keynote speaker, Dean is keen to impact creative innovation across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, where she has been fostering innovative change in education for over a decade. She empowers learners, educators and leaders with the digital age skills, tools and confidence they need to be successful members of a global community and thrive in tomorrow's competitive job market. Dean is a Google for Education Certified Trainer & Innovator (#VIA20), an Adobe Education Leader & Creativity Crew founding member, a Microsoft Innovative Educator and an Apple Teacher. She’s also an ISTE Certified Educator who empowers her communities to thrive as creative knowledge constructors and collaborative learners, and is excited about supporting education communities with their adoption of the ISTE Standards. Dean, along with two other education leaders, hosts the podcast “3 Caffeinated Coaches (#3CCs)” that explores a variety of topics to support education globally with coaching, mentoring and leadership. She’s passionate about igniting creativity with her weekly #eduTGIF livestream on Behance, and she enjoys inspiring educators and leaders to leverage the power of visual learning through sketchnoting and sharing strategies to empower learners to explore and discover their personal creativity process.