Strategies for Activating SEL Across the Curriculum
Explore and create : Creation lab
This session explores the researched informed 'Equity and SEL Integration Framework' for K-12 educators to consider students' SEL when making instructional decisions. They will learn to create relevant learning experiences that focus on preparing students for learning by incorporating high-yielding teaching strategies for activating SEL across any lesson.
|Audience:||Coaches, Principals/head teachers, Teachers|
|Attendee devices:||Devices useful|
|Attendee device specification:||Smartphone: Android, iOS, Windows
Laptop: Chromebook, Mac, PC
Tablet: Android, iOS, Windows
|Participant accounts, software and other materials:||None.|
|Topic:||Social emotional learning|
|Subject area:||Computer science, STEM/STEAM|
|ISTE Standards:||For Educators:
|Additional detail:||ISTE author presentation|
1. Increase understanding of the Equity and SEL Integration in Lessons Framework.
2. Increase understanding of the four domains of emotional intelligence
3. Reflect on the SEL needs of learners and how personal beliefs may impact both the personal and academic success of learners.
4. Increase awareness and knowledge of students to improve teaching.
5. Develop an understanding of how equity-based and culturally responsive teaching strategies can activate SEL in lessons.
6. Explore and reflect on how culturally responsive and restorative practices enhance social interactions between students and staff for inclusive classroom culture.
1. Intro modeling inclusion (5 mins)
2. Mini-lesson introducing SEL framework (15 minutes)
3. Interactive activity and participant share out (5-7 mins)
4. Modeling two strategies with participant feedback (10 minutes)
5. Interactive activity and participant share out (15 mins)
1. My ISTE SEL in Action jumpstart guide.
2. My upcoming ISTE/Solution Tree copub book on Equity and SEL framework.
3. CASEL SEL framework.
Jorge Valenzuela is the lead coach at Lifelong Learning Defined, an author and an education advocate. His work focuses on improving teacher preparation in project-based learning (PBL), computational thinking and computer science integration, STEM education and social-emotional learning (SEL) across the curriculum. Valenzuela also provides professional development on behalf of Corwin, ASCD, PBLWorks and Solution Tree. He’s the author of Rev Up Robotics, Environmental Science for Grades 6-12 and the ISTE Jump Start Guides Ready, Set, Robotics and SEL in Action. Valenzuela is also the host of the “SEL in Action” podcast on BAM Radio Network.